Fruit and veggies have been so good lately, after our first Farmer's Market forray last weekend I took a pint of the blackberries and made a blackberry sauce to drizzle over flan (recipe soon to come), the next morning however, we made a batch of my favorite mini-filled pancakes, filled with blackberry sauce!
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 lemon, zest of
* 3 egg yolks
* 5 egg whites
* 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
* 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* 2 cups jam/berry sauce
* confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. In a batter pitcher or bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks.
3. Whisk in the buttermilk and ricotta.
4. Whisk the yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the mixture will be lumpy. Set aside.
5. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir the whites into the batter in two additions.
6. Put 1/2 teaspoons butter in each well of a ebelskiver pan.
7. Place over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble.
8. Pour 1 Tbs. batter into each well.
9. Place 1 Tsp jam/berry sauce in the center of the batter and top with 1 Tbs batter.
10. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes.
11. Using 2 wooden skewers (I use chopsticks), turn the pancakes over and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes more.
12. Transfer to a plate.
13. Repeat with the remaining batter and jam/berry sauce.
14. Dust the pancakes with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.
These make a delicious treat for a weekend breakfast, they are light and fluffy and tasty!!
- ► 2011 (30)
- ► 2010 (40)
- ▼ May (8)