Sunday, February 28, 2010

Foodbuzz Tastemaker Goodies....

To my delight I recently returned home and found a box on my front porch with a bottle of the new Kikkoman Ponzu Lime Sauce. The mission, to taste it, test it and use it in whatever tasty vittles crossed my mind. The solution: flank steak marinade. I know, I know it doesn't sound all that innovative or exciting, but belive me, when I was done it was zippy and delicious!

Chili Lime Steak Marinade
4 Adoboe Chilies, Chopped
1 Tbsp Worchestshire Sauce
4 Tbsp Catsup
2 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Kikkoman Ponzu Lime Sauce
Emeril's Steak Seasoning


1. Season steak to taste with Emeril's Steak Seasoning
2. Mix remaning ingredients together and pour over steak, allow to sit at least 30 minutes but up to 4 hours.
3. Brush excess marinade off and cook steak to taste.

SO this is super simple but so good, it'd be delicious for fajita tacos. Fair warning, if you don't see the chilies it's pretty spicy but the taste of adoboe chiles is smoky and wonderful and so worth the heat :)



To balance out the spicy steak I served a porcini risotto from the pages of the Jan/Feb 2010 Cooking Light, it tasted anything but healthy!

Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms and Mascarpone

2 cups boiling water
1 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1 ounce)
1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
Cooking spray1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
3/4 cup chopped shallots
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup (1 ounce) mascarpone cheese
Fresh thyme leaves (optional)

1. Combine 2 cups boiling water and mushrooms; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain through a colander over a bowl. Reserve 1 1/2 cups soaking liquid; chop mushrooms.

2. Bring soaking liquid and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep broth mixture warm.

3. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add rice, shallots, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine, and cook until liquid evaporates (about 2 minutes).

4. Add 1 cup broth mixture to rice mixture; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of the broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total). Add mushrooms, grated cheese, chopped thyme, salt, and pepper; stir gently until cheese melts. Spoon 1 cup risotto into each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon mascarpone and thyme leaves, if desired.

7 comments:

Chef E said...

I like the idea of that sauce! I have started my own adventures into the Asian realm of cooking! I love seeing your post when the pop up in my google reader!

Hope you are staying warm down there!

Dee said...

Mmm, so sorry I missed this one. Still am wondering about the Ponzu sauce. Looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

The marinade with ponzu sounds terrific! And the risotto is wonderful to go with the steak!

Joie de vivre said...

I bet the sauce went really well with the flank steak! I have yet to see it, but I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The marinade you made sounds incredible! We definitely love an Asian flair at our house. You are becoming so creative!

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks for visiting Hornsfan!

Tangled Noodle said...

Ooo - it's been a while since I've visited and it's on a post that makes me jealous! 8-) I would've love to have received this ponzu sauce for a taste test but hopefully, I can find it on the store shelves already. And you've reminded me that it's been ages since I've made risotto. My favorite recipe is actually a CL one, too. Great marinade . . .!