Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of....Cake?

Along with the cupcake takeover of the dessert section, Austin has seen a cake ball revolution. These are delicious little bite-sized bits of heaven. So after becoming completely addicted to these beauties I had to figure out how to make my own. So simple, the only thing is it takes a little time but is so worth it! The best part about these is they make so many that they are perfect for a party or to take to the office (if you love your co-workers enough to share!) but if you want to save them, the freeze well and can be easily used at a later date.

Dr. Pepper Cake Balls

1 warm, freshly baked Dr. Pepper cake
1 (16 ounce) container prepared chocolate frosting
2 (8 ounce) Packages Chocolate bark (chocolate flavored confectioners coating)

Instructions
1. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes. When cake is done, crumble while warm into a large bowl, and stir in the frosting until well blended.
2. Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the chocolate cake mixture. Chill balls in freezer for 30 minutes.
3. Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set.




You could very easily substitute homemade frosting for the prepared but there already enough time investment here in my opinion :) I also took the still wet cake balls and dipped some in various other goodies, coconut for some, chopped pecans for others, anything goes so have fun!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How neat! I must try this very soon!

Reeni said...

I've been wanting to make these totally scrumptious little treats!

Joie de vivre said...

Thank you, as always, for visiting. :) These look amazing! I'm sad I didn't see this post come up in my Google reader last week! Sorry! I'll keep a better eye out.

Joie de vivre said...

Ha! I see now it was only posted yesterday, for some crazy reason, I thought it was the 16th today! Oh boy, is it going to be a long day. I think I need another cup of coffee. :)

Kaitlin said...

Yum! They look great!

grace said...

oh, dr pepper cake. 'tis a supreme creation on its own, but in ball form? coated with more chocolate? amen! this is one revolution of which i'd be an active part. :)

Kerstin said...

I still haven't made cake balls, but really need to. Yours look so yummy!