Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kitchen Rant: Puffy Pancakes and the Batter Blaster

In the days before Christmas I was out with my father and we stumbled across something strange (and wonderful) at Sam's Club...the Batter Blaster! We were hungry, it was getting close to dinner time and we were plied by the power of the sample. A nice lady was blasting away with batter at an electric griddle and passing out sample pancakes as well as some pre-cooked bacon (not the best representation of bacon, but we didn't buy it so that's ok), the pancakes were lightly, slightly sweeter than a usual mix and very tasty. Magically a three-pack (it is Sam's, you don't get individual servings there) of Batter Blasters appeared in our massive shopping cart and away we went.



The funny aerosol cans of pancake batter came home with us and were put in the fridge, only to resurface on Christmas Day (and a few times since). We used them two was on Christmas Day, one, to make mini-Silver Dollar sized pancakes on my favorite flat cast iron griddle/skillet and two, with a puffy-pancake pan to make cute little puffy pancakes (as seen in the photos). The puffy pancakes were the biggest hit and have since been recreated over and over. Batter Blasters are here to stay with us and I highly recommend them to anyone else....besides, they are fun! How could you not enjoy squirting pancake batter out of an aerosol can? Yes, I'm aware of how strange/twisted that sounds, guess that gives you a little more insight into my personality.

When we make them as puffy pancakes, we eat them the way I first had them in Holland (where some people call them Dutch Babies), with melted butter and a sprinkling of powdered sugar over the top. No need for syrup then, but do as you wish with them.

For anyone who is interested in stuffed pancakes (something I have yet to try), this can thing would make it soooo much easier (and cleaner)!

Anyway, long story short, I love my Batter Blaster and think everyone should try it!













**This post could have, should have gone up on Christmas Day or right after but since I've made these a few times since (and Christmas was well...busy and Christmas), I felt that I could go ahead and recycle some of the never posted photos today.

8 comments:

Chef E said...

This is too funny, I have never heard of such a thing, but of course I quite shopping at Sam's...reasons apparent on my last blogs, but that is okay, I am only the little voice on your right shoulder :)

Dee said...

You look quite busy there in that photo, it was a two handed cooking moment for certain. They were tasty though.
This is one of the fun things you & Dad located over the holidays. It was a stressful time & this bit of levity was a total joy.

*Kimmie* said...

What a strange yet fabulous find!

Kiezie said...

This is too funny! We are tempted every time we see them at the store! But I am AFRAID to buy it!! LOL!! But since we love poffertjes and any type of Dutch pancake, you have now convinced me to try it! Thanks!!

Hornsfan said...

Chef E - yea me and Sam's aren't really a great idea, I end up with 1000X the amount of whatever item I didn't need to begin with!

Kimmie - it's super easy and fun to play with!

ChefBliss - I resisted the temptation for a while but the puffy pancake made it worth the while. By the way, I'm so glad to see you spelled poffertjes, that's what I remember them being called but there was no way I was going to be able to spell that! :)

Gloria Chadwick said...

I don't think you're strange and twisted at all. LOL. Batter Blasters sounds like fun.

Reeni said...

I haven't seen these either. It does look like fun!

Hornsfan said...

Gloria & Reeni - Thanks for the vote of confidence, guess I'm not that strange :)