Lately I feel like I'm running a spiel on the best of Cooking Light (no, I don't have an endorsement from them! but how great would that be?)....tonight is an old favorite from the May 2008 issue, Chicken and Mushroom Tacos. I have modified mine (which unfortunately makes it less healthy, but the original can be found here), it's a great Monday night dinner, easy and quick, very little prep and very little clean up. This time around I used some chicken that was in the fridge (cooked) but I have used roasted chicken and even the frozen, pre-cooked chicken...here is my version:
1 3/4 cups thinly vertically sliced onion
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
1/4 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup light sour cream
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add jalapeño; sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over onion mixture; sauté 1 minute. Remove onion mixture from pan.
2. Return pan to heat; recoat with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add Madeira to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Uncover; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Stir in onion mixture and chicken; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. I added salt, pepper, and a little bit of crushed red pepper at this point.
3. Warm tortillas according to package instructions. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons cheese; fold in half. Serve with sour cream.
The tortilla in the photo is one of the coolest things I can find at the grocery store (yes I'm very easy to please when it comes to new and cool things)....you buy them in a 'raw' form and then put them on a griddle and they cook. Just like fresh tortillas from a restaurant or home, but so much easier!
Now, since this was relatively healthy (all except the flour tortillas), I did have to eat one of the deliciously gooey brownies I made yesterday....yesterday was a great meal as well, I did ribs, sweet potato fries and roasted green beans, unfortunately the photos were disastrous so I won't be posting this one until I can re-do it. However, the brownies I will post shortly!
- ► 2011 (30)
- ► 2010 (40)
- Aunt Marylyn's Brownies
- Quick and Easy Chicken Tacos
- Veggie Pakoras on a chilly January night
- Inaguration Celebration
- Busy Monday Evening
- Slow Roasted Sunday
- Kitchen Rant: Puffy Pancakes and the Batter Blaste...
- "Light" and Fried Fish, Really?
- German food, the Fiesta Bowl and apparently I'm go...
- Tasty Freezer Finds...
- ▼ January (10)