Thursday, March 12, 2009

How I love you Food and Wine Magazine...

I figure while I'm plugging various products (i.e. my recent Central Market rant) I will rant about how much I love the March 09 issue of Food and Wine Magazine...this week alone I've cooked two recipes from the issue and I have plans for many many more! Monday evening I cooked one of the recipes featured in the 'Chef Recipes Made Easy' section, Mustard-Glazed Chicken with Arugula and Bok Choy. It turned out to be a quick and easy dinner for a week night, not to mention the fact that it provides some nutritious veggies and delicious protein...really tasty too!

Mustard-Glazed Chicken with Arugula and Bok Choy

Ingredients

4 teaspoons dry mustard powder
4 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon mirin
1 1/2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 medium heads of bok choy (about 1 1/4 pounds), halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
One 5-ounce bag baby arugula


Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a bowl, stir the mustard with the water, mirin, 1 teaspoon of the soy and 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar.
2. In an ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until golden, 2 minutes. Flip the chicken and brush with the mustard; transfer to the oven and roast for 8 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes; slice. Wipe out the skillet.
3. Meanwhile, steam the bok choy for 5 minutes. Drain; pat dry. In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the bok choy cut side down and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned, 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter; season with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken over the bok choy.
4. In a bowl, whisk the vinegar with the remaining oil, soy sauce and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula and toss; arrange over the chicken and serve.



I didn't have mirin on hand so I used Rice Wine instead and found that it was a good substitute, it helped keep the chicken very moist and delicious. I cooked this for just me, but it made great work-lunch left overs, probably would've needed some rice if the boyfriend was here or anyone else for that matter, but it was still tasty. Needless to say, the Food and Wine love-fest will continue with my next post, tonight we had a terrific Greek Tzatziki that was in the same issue, I'll post it sooner or later....fair warning, my posts will be very sporadic (if at all) the remainder of the week into the week of March 23 because I'm going to Mexico! I'm super excited, I get to go visit my parents, some of you may read my mom's blog Texas-to-Mexico, I'll finally get to see her (it's been since Xmas) and my dad for a good amount of time. I'm sure it will result in some great photos and maybe a contest with Mexico-food-stuff prizes!

5 comments:

Chef E said...

Oh give Dee a hug from Chef E!

I have seen a few mustard-glaze recipes lately and I tell you it has made me want to create something!

Yours looks good here! I will have some with extra glaze please...

Reeni said...

What a yummi-licious dinner! I love mustard with chicken, and this Asian twist looks really good. Have fun in Mexico!

Anonymous said...

Mustard-glaze sounds wonderful! Have a fun time with your parents!

♥Rosie♥ said...

This is one fantastic looking meal. I just love the sound of mustard glaze on chicken *slurp*

Have a great time in Mexico!!

Rosie x

Hornsfan said...

Chef E - I'll give her a great big hug for you! The mustard-glaze was great, I think it'd be tasty modified for fish or shrimp too...mmm...seafood!
Reeni - Thanks, the meal was a great weeknight dish!
Rosie & 5 Star - Thanks!