So I might be a day late and a dollar short here...ok maybe few days late :) but after the St. Patricks Day fail I was determined to make the whole Guinness Bread thing work....which in turn means I had to figure out a way to dispose of more Guinness. I'm not a huge fan of really dark beer for drinking so I set about looking for recipes to use up my new found stash of Guinness. I settled on the re-make of the Guinness Bread, a Guinness BBQ Chicken Marinade and Guinness Brownies. So it really ended up more like a 4 Guinness night!
Speaking of Guinness, have you ever noticed the draught cans have an object in them...really something to the effect of a half-crushed pingpong ball. Well after opening and using so much Guinness I was desperately curious about the ball (aka 'widget') in the can. Interestingly enough it has something to do with creating more carbonation in the can and giving the beer more head. Well thanks Wikipedia for saving me the hassle of cutting the can open to figure out what's inside :)
On to the recipes:
3 cups all-purpose flour
12 ounces Guinness
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 stick of butter(melted)
1. Sift flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add beer to dry ingredients and mix.
3. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
4. Drizzle butter over batter.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
Guinness BBQ Chicken Marinade
Seasoned Salt & Pepper
4 Chicken Breasts, Skinless and Boneless
1 Can Guinness
2 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
3 Tbsp Dark Molasses
1/8 Tsp Tabasco Sauce
1. Season chicken with season salt and pepper.
2. Mix together remaining ingredients, pour over chicken. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
3. Cook chicken on grill or under broiler 20-25 minutes, marinate often with liquid.
Now, drumroll please, for the grand finale......
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Natural Processed Cocoa Powder (I used Hershey's)
1/4 Tsp Salt
6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, Cut into Cubes
8 oz Dark Bittersweet Chocolate, Chopped
4 oz High Quality White Chocolate, Chopped
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 1/4 Cup Guinness Stout, at room temperature
3/4 Tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat oven to 375. Prepare a 13 x 9 baking pan (grease and flour).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt; set aside.
3. Melt the chocolate in the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate is nearly melted and still smooth.
4. Combine the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and mix on high speed until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate slowly in two additions, beating on medium until combined.
5. Add one-third of the Guinness and the vanilla and whisk until combined. Repeat twice more until Guinness is done.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Spring chocolate chips over the top and bake for 23-27 minutes. Cool completely before eating.
All of these recipes are easily found all of the web but after much scouring and a little mixing and matching these seem to be the best compilations of these three types of recipes....definitely room to keep trying though!
- ► 2011 (30)
- ▼ April (6)
- ► 2009 (70)