Last night was a "bad*" food night here -- we ordered two big pizzas, watched some D-I AA College Football and veged. So naturally this morning breakfast was pretty much unhealthy too, some yummy cold pizza and more tv.
Made it out to pick up the last of the Christmas presents, now they just have to get wrapped....if only I could hire that out to someone!
To make up for the cold pizza breakfast dinner was a bit fresher and substantially more healthy than the pizza. One of my last gifting stops was to purchase a gift card from our local Randall's (grocery store), I needed leaks for dinner tomorrow night and in the process of getting to produce I was lured by the pre-made pasta in the deli case...they had a tasty looking Prosciutto and Roasted Chicken Borsetti that called my name. I am a pretty big fan of the fresh pasta, it's easy and tasty after a long day at work, but I like to give it some kind of sauce that's not premade when I use it. Tonight's sauce was a roasted garlic and tomato sauce with baby artichoke hearts, mmmm mmmmm good.
*"bad" is about health/nutritional content - not flavor :)
Roasted Garlic and Tomato Sauce with Baby Artichokes
5 Large Ripe Tomatoes
2 Cloves Peeled Garlic
Salt and Pepper to Taste
2 Cups Artichoke Quarters (I used a frozen, unmarinated artichoke but marinated ones would taste great too)
1 1/2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar (a sweeter balsamic is best)
1 Tbsp Margarine or Butter
1. Preheat oven to 450. Cut an "x" into the top of each tomato, peel garlic. Place garlic and tomatoes in oven safe dish/jelly roll pan. Drizzle olive oil over tomatoes and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Place in heated oven to roast for 30 minutes.
2. Once tomatoes are ready, remove them from the oven, allow to cool a few minutes. After they are able to be touched, slice them into chunks with knife. Coarsely mince garlic.
3. Heat sauce pan with butter in it. Once butter has melted, saute artichokes (season with salt and pepper) three minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, balsamic and garlic, heat another three minutes. Add pasta and serve.
- ► 2011 (30)
- ► 2010 (40)
- ► 2009 (70)
- Christmas Eve Tradition
- Christmas Cookie Double Play
- Family arrives, and Christmas (sort of) begins!
- Cold Pizza and Christmas Presents...turns into Roa...
- The tree is up and cookie test #4 is here...
- Sweet Saturday Morning German Apple Pancake
- It's the Great Christmas Pumpkin Charlie Brown.......
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos
- Cookie Test # 3 and a Heisman Nod...
- Mourning the loss of the Championship game...
- I hate OU
- Cookie Test # 2 - Sugar Cookies
- How did I make it to the USPS most hated list?
- Christmas cookie recipe testing - or an excuse to ...
- ▼ December (14)