Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cookie Disaster and the final semi-homemade dinner of the week

So I spent most of today swapping my winter clothing out of my closets, putting my spring/summer things in (yea in Texas you really only need two types of clothing, cold weather and hot weather) and cleaning up. So this afternoon after I finished I decided to mess around in the kitchen. I had coconut and some chocolate chips that needed to be used and have been toying with the idea of mixing some things in with a chocolate based cookie...so there may be more cookies to come until I get that bug out of my system!

First off, my cookie fiesta.....in keeping with the need to use up the coconut and chocolate chips I mixed up a batch of Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies.

Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 Sticks (1 Cup) Softened Unsalted Butter
1 Egg
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
1 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 Cups Sweetend Coconut

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cream softened butter and the sugars.
3. Add egg and vanillas to creamed butter/sugar, mix.
4. Mix all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Slowly add mixture to butter/sugar mix.
5. Add coconut and chocolate chips to the batter.
6. 1 Heaping tablespoon is approximately one big old cookie - bake 10-12 minutes, until cooked but not burned.
7. Cool - Enjoy!




So the second recipe, not quite as successful, really it didn't become much of a cookie at all....thank God for the silpat!



As you can see, the Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies weren't quite successful as cookies......so I ended up pouring the remaining batter into a greased/floured 8x8 pan and baking it as a bar. It isn't terribly pretty but it's tasty.

So, we'll call these the not- cookie:

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip NOT Cookies
1 Cup Melted Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
2 Cups Oatmeal
2 1/4 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cream butter and sugars.
3. Add egg, peanut butter and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture, mix well.
4. Mix in salt, baking soda and baking powder.
5. Add oatmeal and chocolate chips, mix well.
6. Pour into a greased and floured 8x8 pan.
7. Let cook 30-35 minutes, until firm in center.


After my cookie fiesta/fiasco I reverted to a slightly less involved bit of cooking....to round out the semi-homemade week that I've had, pizza!

Two pizzas, one a BBQ Chicken Pizza with red onions, smoked gouda and red onions and the second, a margharita pizza with fresh mozzarella and tomato!

12 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Love the chocolate coconut cookie.. sound fantastic and thry look great. Great idea to put the second cookie in a baking pan! Oatmeal peanut butter is one of my favorites.. Better Homes and Gardens has a fantastic version of one. The pizzas look fabulpous. Winning stuff all around!!

5 Star Foodie said...

The chocolate coconut cookies look wonderful and so delicious! My cookies always melt while baking and loose their shapes but I did do better with my triangular cookies recently (with Chef E's advices) so I'm hopeful for next time :)

girlichef said...

Hi...I've never left a comment for you before, but I've enjoyed reading your blog. I just have to say that these chocolate coconut cookies look killer! I think I may just have to try them TODAY! yum.

Angie's Recipes said...

The 2nd batch of crisps are actually more to my taste. I prefer the thin crunchy flakes to the proper cookies.

doggybloggy said...

I wish I could make a melty cookie - mine are always these little cake bricks....

Reeni♥ said...

Chocolate and coconut=yummy!! I've had cookies turn out like that, as long as they taste good, right, our tummies don't care what they look like. I was just searching my freezer for chicken-I have such a craving for BBQ Pizza!!

Chef E said...

Mine are either like giant puffy cakes, or melted...no perfect cookies in this house with out a little prayer first :) I would eat the melty ones right up!

Gloria Chadwick said...

I love that you're having a cookie fiesta! LOL. :)

Tangled Noodle said...

Coconut and chocolate make a great combination! I'm thinking of using the pair in something soon myself. As for your whole cookie endeavor, it doesn't matter what they look like - it's all about the taste and I'm sure these tasted fantastic!

The Duo Dishes said...

The oatmeal pb cookie fiasco is amusing. Those things happen. :) But it must've been tasty!

Hornsfan said...

Donna - I'll have to check out the Better Homes & Gardens version, mine tastes good but as you can see isn't exactly easy to scrape off the silpat :)
5 Star - Thanks! Looking at your posts I'd never know you have kitchen mishaps :)
girlichef - Thanks for commenting, I'm glad you're enjoying the reading, I really love your Root Beer Float post today (yup I'm belated in my blog reading), can't wait to see what else you post!
Angie - I like a crispy cookie sometimes but those weren't even crispy, they were sort of well, not sure how to phrase this but they were pliable in a way cookies shouldn't be :)
Doggybloggy - Again, I am astounded that you have cookie issues, you've got such amazing creations you post!
Reeni - BBQ Chicken is a super favorite for me, I wish I'd had time to add some bacon to the top....it makes such a good addition!
Chef E - come and get 'em!
Gloria - hey, it's fiesta season, might as well? :)
Tangled Noodle - You're right, the taste was there, it just lacked some body....
Duo - you're right, it was good stuff even though it resembled a badly formed pancake :)

Maris said...

Cookies...not cookies...chocolate chips are present and that's what counts! :)