Jennifer at Savor the Thyme is hosting an Oatmeal Cookie Challenge in honor of National Oatmeal Cookie Day, April 30. I've been on a slight Oatmeal Cookie kick, unfortunately for me, Jennifer's call was for a healthy cookie....after some soul searching (ok now I'm just being dramatic), I came up with a healthy recipe that I'm entering for the challenge. Now, as many of you know, I reside and work in Austin, Texas, which means I spend a lot of time around many green, veggie friendly, health-loving, tree-hugging types...many I count among my friends! The image of those people, the fact that Earth Day just passed and the contents of my pantry inspired my Hippie Oatmeal Cookies.
Hippie Oatmeal Cookies
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Honey
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 Cup Oats
1 Cup Diced Dried Apricots
1/2 Cup Diced Dried Plums
1/2 Cup Cherry-flavored (or regular) Dried Cranberries
4 Tbsp Apple Butter
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a cookie sheet or use a silpat.
2. Cream egg, apple butter, vegetable oil, brown sugar and honey.
3. In a separate bowl, mix cinnamon, whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda.
4. Slowly mix dry with wet ingredients. After they have been thoroughly combined, mix in fruit and oats.
5. Drop well rounded tablespoons of the dough onto prepared cookie sheet, bake 15-16 minutes.
6. Remove from sheet and cool on racks. Cookies should be chewy and moist.
- ► 2011 (30)
- ► 2010 (40)
- National Oatmeal Cookie Day - April 30
- Tri-Colored Warm Pasta Salad and an Award!
- Slow Cooked Sunday
- Just a few of the reasons I love Spring...
- Cookie Disaster and the final semi-homemade dinner...
- Semi-homemade pasta for the time crunched...
- Spring is here and asparagus are near!
- Beach Daze...
- Pantry Raid: Singapore Noodles
- Quick and Easy Indian Food ala Box?
- Everything Old is New Again: Dr. Pepper Cake!
- Mexico Part Deux - and Lemon Herbed Shrimp
- ▼ April (12)