Ever have one of those nights where you don't really have a plan but you don't really have a clear idea of what you can make with the random contents of your pantry/fridge/freezer? I'm starting to feel like that is almost every day for me! Tonight I opened up the freezer, saw a bit of raw frozen shrimp, saw some chicken in the fridge and a handful of veggies I thought could be tossed together for some kind of Asian noodle dish...mainly because I keep a pretty good stock of Asian accouterments in my pantry (one of the perks of having a great Asian market close by). So some chopping, mincing and julienne-ing later and Singapore Noodles here I come!
1/2 LB Rice Stick Noodles
2 Tbsp Veggie Oil
3/4 Lb Shimp, Peeled and Devined
2 Chicken Breasts, Diced
1 Clove Minced Garlic
3 Ribs Chopped Celery
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, Julienned
1 Cup Chopped Tomatoes
3/4 Cup Chopped Green Onions (just the green part)
1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
2 Tsp Curry
1/4 Cup Light Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tsp Sriarcha
1 Tbsp Catsup
1. Mix together rice vinegar, curry, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, sriarcha, and catsup, set aside.
2. Boil four cups water, once it's boiling, drop in rice stick noodles, let sit for up to three minutes in hot water, then drain and add 1 tsp oil so noodles don't stick together.
3. Heat veggie oil in a large skillet or wok, add minced garlic. Add chicken and shrimp, let chicken get white and shrimp get pink.
4. After protein has cooked, add in red bell pepper, tomato and celery, mix well and let it cook two minutes.
5. Pour noodles into protein and veggie mix, stir, then add sauce and mix well.
6. Mix in green onions, serve.
The typical recipe for Singapore Noodles uses vermicelli but lacking that I threw in the thinnest noodles I had, a rice stick noodle by name but I really don't believe that's what they are...needless to say, curry + shrimp + chicken = tasty dinner!
- ► 2011 (30)
- ► 2010 (40)
- National Oatmeal Cookie Day - April 30
- Tri-Colored Warm Pasta Salad and an Award!
- Slow Cooked Sunday
- Just a few of the reasons I love Spring...
- Cookie Disaster and the final semi-homemade dinner...
- Semi-homemade pasta for the time crunched...
- Spring is here and asparagus are near!
- Beach Daze...
- Pantry Raid: Singapore Noodles
- Quick and Easy Indian Food ala Box?
- Everything Old is New Again: Dr. Pepper Cake!
- Mexico Part Deux - and Lemon Herbed Shrimp
- ▼ April (12)